If you approach La Oliva from the north there is a point at which my favourite volcano looms above the church of Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria – the problem is it is difficult to find a good place to stand to capture an image.
In all honesty the architecture on Fuerteventura is not that interesting – there are few old buildings – the exception to this are the little chapels that can be found in all towns and villages across the island.
The Church of Our Lady of Candelaria lies at the heart of the small village of La Oliva in northern Fuerteventura. The chuch was built in the 17th Century at a time when the islands nobility moved to the northern part of the island.
Greenway overlooking the River Dart in South Devon was the summer home of mystery author Agatha Christie.
The house at Coleton Fishacre was built as a country home for Rupert D’Oyly Carte and his wife, Lady Dorothy Carte, between 1923 and 1926.
Fort Boyard is a fort located between the Île-d’Aix and the Île d’Oléron in the Pertuis d’Antioche straits, on the west coast of France. Though a fort on Boyard bank was suggested as early as the 17th century, it was not until the 1800s under Napoleon Bonaparte that work began. Building started in 1801 and was completed in 1857.
One of my favourite functions on the Lumix G9, that comes as a consequence of having an electronic viewfinder, is the ability to see the results of different crops (picture modes) in camera or indeed filter effects such as monochrome.
Le Phare de Chassiron lies at the western tip of Ile d’Oleron facing out into the Bay of Biscay and the Atlantic beyond. Around the lighthouse the gardens have been laid out in the pattern of the cardinal points of a compass creating leading lines from the north, east, south and west or nord, est, sud and ouest in French.
More colourful Cabanes – this time in Le Chateau d’Oleron. A number of these old Oyster farming cabins have been converted into artists studios whilst others remain in their original use, all in all a rather odd mix – still they do make good photographic subjects although enough is enough and other subjects await.
Ile d’Oléron is the largest of France’s Atlantic islands.
Saint-Savinien-sur-Charente is one of the most picturesque villages in Roman Saintonge. Climbing a rock buttress on the banks of the River Charante the village affords nice views and provides some good places to stand.
Saintes an historic town in southwestern France, in the Charente-Maritime department. In Roman times, Saintes was known as Mediolanum Santonum, and during much of its history, the name of the city was spelled Xaintes.
A little mish mash today – all taken on a cycle ride along the “cote de beaute” between St-Palais-sur-Mer and Royan.
Charrelets – Belle Epoque Architecture – and that Catherdral again.
The most striking building in the French coastal city of Royan is undoubtedly the Cathedral (église Notre-Dame) – it stands on the site of a former neo-gothic church that was destroyed in 1945 (as was much of Royan). Designed by architects Guillaume Gillet and Marc Hébrard and built between 1955-58 entirely of concrete, it is considered one of the leaders of French contemporary architecture.
Founded around 1555 Brouage was at first the centre for European salt trading, before it became a military base under the drive of it’s governor: Richelieu. It was once the most impressive sea-port of France and Louis XIV, today the bastion lies some distance “inland” surrounded by brackish marshes and provides some interesting photographic opportunities although is perhaps best appreciated from the air.
15 kilometres south of Royan, Talmont sits on a rocky peak overlooking the Gironde estuary.
Big and Round – and on the seafront at Ronce-les-Bains on a sunny and busy Sunday afternoon. Only one approach to such a subject – Fisheye of course.
Huitres (Oysters) are a favourite of the French – the marshes around the river Seudre and L’ile d’Oleron in the Charentes Maritime are awash with the small scale infrastructure used to raise and harvest the mollusc.
The Alcazar of Jerez or more correctly Jerez de la Frontera (the frontier being between the Muslim and Christian worlds) is one of the most emblematic monuments in the city. It is situated in the Southeastern corner of a wall that once enclosed the ancient city. The Alcazar comprised walls, towers and gates and constituted a complex defensive system.
Sherry is everywhere in Jerez – it really is the only game in town. A photowalk around the backstreets reveals bodega after bodega.